Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Air We Breathe

By: Christa Parrish




Molly Fisk and her mother work in a wax museum in a tourist town.  Due to her troubled past, Molly is gripped with fear and unable to leave the museum.  Sadly, the museum has become her safe haven and the wax figures are her only friends that know about her past.  Although the museum is her safe place, it often feels like a prison as she longs to be free.  Molly’s relationship with her mother does not help matters as they do not discuss the past and act like nothing happened.

Claire Rodriquez was barely getting by in life.  A tragic accident left her with feelings of guilt that she found difficult to work through.  One day Claire was at a park and met a little girl named, Hanna.  Claire reached out to the little girl and she responded.  Unbeknownst to Claire, Hanna had not spoken to anyone in quite some time as she was present at a horrific crime scene that left her paralyzed with fear.  Hanna sensed Claire’s pain and believed that Claire may be able to help her through her pain.

This book contains several stories that end up weaving together.  I must say that while reading the first hundred pages I could not decide if I liked this book.  There were moments when I did not want to continue reading it as it was a little too graphic for my liking.  Hanna was present at a crime scene and what she had to endure was difficult to read.  However, I am glad I continued on as I ended up really liking the book and felt it had a lot of valuable lessons.  This book definitely takes you on an adventure with all of the twists and turns.  Another thing to note is that the each chapter begins with the name of the character (Molly, Claire or Hanna), the month and the year.  I found this to be very confusing at times as you have to keep the characters straight, as well as, what month/year the author is talking about.  I think I would have enjoyed a different format but once I was near the end of the book everything made more sense. 

Overall, I would recommend this book as it illustrates God’s perfect timing and how all of us are put on this earth for a reason.  Although our situations may be difficult, the Lord uses them for our good and the good of others. 

*This book was provided by Bethany House for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment